Accepted Student Dive In!
Students accepted to the University of Maine School of Marine Sciences are invited to Dive In!
If you’re sitting on the fence, let us prove that UMaine is the place for you!
Students in the School of Marine Sciences study the worlds oceans in, on and under the water. They use analytical laboratory equipment, build sensors, gather data from distant satellites, and study the secrets of marine organisms. High school students accepted into the University of Maine’s marine science program are invited to attend this special event. Dive In will showcase our marine science faculty and facilities, and highlight undergraduate academic and research opportunities available on the main campus in Orono and at UMaine’s marine field station, the Daring Marine Center (DMC) in Walpole.
Date: April 20-21, 2015
We will take the first 30 students to register. Registration closes when full or on April 7.
To participate in Dive In, you must:
- Register for the April 20th UMaine Accepted Student Day. Details at: go.umaine.edu/visit/accepted-student-day
- Complete the online Accepted Student Dive In registration form (below).
- Monday, April 20: Dive In participants convene in the School of Marine Sciences, Aubert Hall at 3:45pm to explore Orono-based marine facilities. Participants will have dinner with current SMS undergraduate students and then hop a bus to the DMC.
- Tuesday, April 21: The day will include a variety of field and laboratory activities and a research cruise aboard the R/V Ira C. The program will conclude at 2:30pm with a reception for parents and students with DMC faculty, staff and students in Brooke Hall.
- Parents are encouraged to attend the Accepted Student day activities with their teen, but Dive In is for prospective students only.
- Please plan to drop your student off in Orono and pick-up at the Darling Marine Center in Walpole the next day.
Questions, concerns and more information:
- Contact Jodie Feero in the SMS office (207.581.4385, Jodie_Feero@umit.maine.edu) or Linda Healy at the DMC (207.563.8220 or email@example.com).
- School of Marine Sciences website
- Darling Marine Center website.
Dive In offered by the University of Maine’s School of Marine Sciences, Darling Marine Center, and College of Earth, Life, and Health Sciences.
The University of Maine does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, including transgender status and gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, 207.581.1226.
If you are a person with a disability and need an accommodation to participate in this program, please call Linda Healy, as early as possible, at 207.563.8220 to discuss your needs.