Semester By the Sea
In 2021, we plan to return to the in-person residential Semester By the Sea at the Darling Marine Center campus in Walpole.
Note that this plan may change, if public health conditions or staffing limitations make safe delivery of the in-person semester impossible.
Students from throughout the University of Maine System are encouraged to apply, as are all advanced undergraduate or post baccalaureate students with a passion and background in science.
Courses offered in Fall 2021 will include:
- Scientific Diving (SMS 324)
- SBS Seminar (SMS 350)-REQUIRED
- Independent Study/Capstone Research (SMS 400)
- Observing marine ecosystems: A field course in measurement and instrumentation (SMS 450)-REQUIRED
- Coastal and Estuarine Oceanography (SMS 491)
- Aquaculture (SMS 491)
- Biology of Marine Invertebrates (SMS 491/598)
- Sea Change: Anthropogenic shifts in ocean systems (SMS 491)
Note that all 2021 SBS students are required to enroll in SMS 350 and SMS 450. UMaine students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to ensure course selections fulfill their degree requirements. Non-UMaine students should contact Dr. William Ellis, Associate Director of SMS, for additional information.
Costs to Consider. There is a $850 course fee attached to SMS 350, which covers course expenses for all the SBS courses in which a student participates. Room and board are billed separately and in addition to this required course fee. Note that there is an additional course fee of $700 for SMS 324, Scientific Diving, which covers course materials and certifications.
Prerequisites & Participation
Semester By the Sea courses are open to students with sophomore-year standing, or equivalent background, with one year of biology and one year of chemistry. Students admitted to the program must create a course wish list in MaineStreet. When registration for the fall semester opens, Jodie Feero will enroll students. Preference will be given to those students graduating in the 2021-22 academic year, if we reach our enrollment capacity of 30 students.
2021 Dates to Remember
- March 1, 4 PM – SBS 2021 informational meeting via zoom. All interested students are encouraged to attend. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- March 28 – Deadline for completing online application form for Fall 2021 residential courses. COMPLETE THE FORM HERE
- Last week of March – Notification of acceptance to SBS courses
- April 16 – Students receive welcome email and forms from the Darling Marine Center
- April 30 – Deadline for completion of all DMC forms. Students are expected to complete and submit all materials on time. Failure to do so will remove a student from the roster and a wait listed student will be moved into that seat.